Restoration Through Inlays and Onlays
What are Inlays / Onlays & White Fillings?
Inlays and Onlays are restorations made to the back teeth that have a mild to moderate amount of decay. They are made of composite resin material, porcelain, or gold by a dental laboratory. Once completed, Dr. Acosta will bond the inlays or onlays to the tooth.
- An inlay sits in a hole inside the tooth.
- An onlay sits on top of the tooth to build up its shape.
They can also be used to:
- Restore teeth that are cracked or fractured if the damage is not too severe to require a dental crown.
- Replace metal fillings for patients who desire a more natural looking smile.
- Help conserve much of the natural tooth structure.
Treatment involves isolating the tooth and removing old fillings or damaged tooth structure under local anesthesia. Dr. Acosta makes an impression of the tooth, then the inlay or onlay is created from porcelain, gold, or composite resin material and is cemented securely into place. Dr. Acosta may make adjustments to ensure the tooth is comfortable to bite on.
Benefits of Dental Inlays and Onlays and White Fillings
In treating dental decay, inlays and onlays help to eliminate tooth sensitivity and eventual tooth loss. Inlays and onlays also offer the following benefits:
- Made from tooth-colored material, inlays and onlays are virtually invisible.
- Unlike metal fillings, inlays and onlays will not expand or contract in response to temperature changes caused by hot or cold foods, diminishing the possibility of fracture.
- Inlays and onlays require less tooth reduction than metal fillings allowing Dr. Acosta to conserve a more natural tooth structure.
- The durable material of the inlays and onlays help them last up to 30 years – much longer than that of conventional amalgam fillings.
- Inlays and onlays can replace silver fillings to create a healthier, more natural-looking smile.
- By saving the decayed teeth, inlays and onlays prevent the need for more extensive treatement in the future.
A Brighter Smile in North Palm Beach and Juno Beach
Inlays and onlays usually take 2-3 appointments for completion. If you are interested in learning more about color restoration and to receive an opinion on your need for inlays or onlays, contact Acosta Dental Arts, PA at 561-622-0301 or fill out our contact form to set up an appointment with Dr. Acosta.